Quotes

As I grow, I learn and as I learn, I grow
...Towards Becoming a Beautiful Soul

Search This Blog

Monday 6 October 2014

THE VIRGINITY TALK: Someone Has Got To Say Something


11th Dhul-Hijjah, 1435                                           Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem

Assalaamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barkaatuh. I pray that we are all doing excellent by Allah’s unflinching grace. Alhamdulillaah for the blessing of this deen. Alhamdulillaah for the blessing of this brotherhood. Alhamdulillaah for the greatest of gifts; the guidance of Allah. May Allah azza wa jal keep us on His guidance forever. Aameen.

And I got a kick this evening whiles coming home from work. I was thinking real hard about some issues concerning us; the Muslimahs. Our situation gets a lot more pathetic over time. I know deep down somewhere that most of these are signs of the Akhira (the end time) but I believe that we all owe it to Allah Robbil ‘Arshil ‘Azeem (the Lord of the Mighty Throne) to direct one another towards Allah azza wa jal. So, this is my portion on a bit of the many problems confronting us and I guess it might get a lot lengthier but my loyal readers have always got this tolerance for me; jazaakumullaahu khairan always.

Some Stories

I remember quite clearly one evening when I was in Senior High School One. One of the form three sisters whom I was free with and who respected me a lot (I had that treat in SHS 1, smiles) came up to me on the veranda looking very worried. She had something to talk about and she thought I could be the right person to talk to. What did she have to say?

‘Someone broke my virginity when I went home.’

Oh yes! I heard right. Before I say what my reaction was; she had been ‘lucky’ to get permission (that was something that was almost impossible in my SHS) to go home for a day or two I guess and that was what she earned.

My Reaction

Well, apart from the novels I used to read, I did not know anything else concerning these things. I was shouting within me about how she could possibly do that when she was almost getting done with school. Many questions, no answers! Fortunately for me, all that emotion didn’t show on my face. I remember she kept talking and my mind kept wondering. In the long run she was extremely worried about one thing; 

‘Was she going to get pregnant?’

The Virgins Club

One day, I found myself chairing a programme at the University of Ghana when I was in my final year. I sat between a lecturer (man) and a mother and mentor of mine who were the speakers. I felt so out of place and something came up: the lecturer said;

‘Why don’t you form a virgin’s club?’

And my mentor supported. I could not believe my eyes and ears. Virgin’s what? Challey! I could not imagine a number of girls coming together to form a group because they are virgins. The disadvantages abound. It doesn’t seem advisable to me that ladies tempt to form such a group as that will be a big blow to many in the faces. How would we even be sure that the members of such a group are all as they say they are? How could we incorporate our ‘secondary virgins’ into the whole Islamic system?

The Question: To Answer or Not To Answer

I have seen a particular question come up for discussion among Muslim ladies a number of times. It is;

‘What should you tell a yet-to-be husband who asks you whether you are a virgin or not?’

At this question, some people will easily go off with anger. Why will he ask in the first place? Is he a virgin too? What will he do if he finds out she is not a virgin? Leave her and then spread the message to others? What if she says she is and he finds out after marriage that she is not? Is he going to leave her? If he was hoping she was a virgin, is he going to cause himself emotional distress by finding out she is not? Why doesn’t he wait since he is already getting married to find out for himself? I wonder; will the reluctance of a woman to answer to such a question be taken to mean she is not a virgin? The issue is that dicey. 

Another question is; Is virginity that important for a guy to want to know whether his wife-to-be is one or not? I wish I could have people’s opinion here but all the same, let’s move on. I recall a story;

One day, a man came to the ‘Ameer Al-Mu’mineen, Umar ibn Al-Khattab radiyallaahu anhu to seek his advice. His problem was that some years back, his daughter had fornicated but then she had repented. Now, she had a suitor and he was thinking; should he tell him about the fact that she wasn’t a virgin? 

The ‘Ameer Al-Mu’mineen radiyallaahu anhu asked him whether he would reveal that which Allah azza wa jal had concealed. He also advised that he should marry her off as a chaste woman.’

I also wish that we could all go to youtube to watch a short movie by the Deen Show titled; ‘Change of Heart’ for some mind blowing lessons. If you cannot access youtube, you can read the story (I typed verbatim the video) in my blog. 

A Recent Bitter Story

I am told about a respectable public person who is misusing a young girl. This man who is married broke the girl’s virginity in his car (that is what she says). Any time she requests for money from him (she is a needy person and that is how it mostly starts), he has to have his way with her until things did not work out and she had to report to an Islamic Counselling Centre for help. The man had promised he was going to marry her. And then, many similar ones came up.

The girl says; she had been naïve about the gravity of what she involved herself in. She did not know that having sex was such a big deal in Islam (a Senior High School girl). Who do we blame? The girl, the man, her parents or her community? And she is just one girl with the same story with a thousand others.

My Adorable Daughter tells me

I have a lot of children especially daughters. One of them; she just turned 14, has been having some serious heart-to-heart discussions with me. She tells me about a girl in her class (when she was in J.H.S., she is now going to S.H.S.) who was being used by the guys and a teacher (this teacher goes from girl to girl) in the school. It was so serious that the school had to suspend both she and the teacher. She said that the girl had done abortion before. She told me about how some boys in her class and some teachers have been worrying her and then she talked about those she felt totally uncomfortable with (she didn’t want to get attracted). 

So we see, little girls are not left out of the ‘losing it’ game.
Why is Virginity Important to a Man?

I should have probably captioned it as; ‘Why is virginity important to humanity?’ But I will narrow the importance of virginity to Islam alone. 

We know too well that sexual immorality is completely frowned upon by Allah, azza wa jal. He warns us explicitly by saying; 

‘And do not approach unlawful sexual intercourse. Indeed, it is ever an immorality and is evil as a way.’

(Surat Al-‘Isra’, the Night Journey, Chapter 17 ayah 32)

As an unmarried man or woman, when you obey this rule, you could not find yourself as anything other than a virgin. When the importance of staying away from unlawful sexual intercourse is found in the Qur’an, we do not then care who says what anymore.

It is therefore incumbent upon all of us (the men and the women) to give absolute priority to virginity because we are Muslims and our law is made only by Allah subhaanahu wa ta’aalaa. 

Apart from this being important from this perspective, we can also look at the social importance of virginity to both the woman and the man.

To the Muslimah

I have something that I always say to myself and I keep posting and sharing. It is;

‘Do not make for yourself the kind of history that you will not want to be played to you when you move to another stage.’

That is to say that; we human beings are constantly in a state of change both positively and negatively. We realize that we hold this opinion today and the next day we hold that opinion instead. We like doing these things today, and then the other things tomorrow. I hope you are getting what I am driving at.

Now, a woman has for one reason or the other become the one who carries the physical burden of unlawful sexual intercourse. That is;

‘She is the one who either gets pregnant or gets shamed’

Pregnant is understandable. What do I mean by ‘shamed’? For most men who will end up doing illegal things like that with a woman, you will realize that they will as well not mind telling it to their friends and even boasting about it, nastagfirullaah. They take pride in the number of women whose backs they have put down. That was a proverb (smile to Jannah). Funny enough, it is only a handful of people who blame this men and even look down upon them for their actions but almost everyone begins to see the woman involved with such a man with the ‘left eye’ and they call her names.

A woman who keeps herself intact however does not have this to deal with. At least, the men who sit together at ‘joints’ and ‘by the road sides’ to talk about all sorts of things (those that will benefit them and those that will not) will not have her as a subject for discussion. That alone, is a great relief.

To the Muslim Man

I will like to go straight to his wedding night when he is finally permitted to have his way with his bride without the watch eyes. To do this; we have to know that there are various shades of men just like there are women.

Some of them are religious and some are not. The religious men also have shades just like the non-religious men. It could be that before a man became religious, he did things (understand?) and changed over for the better so you could not find him a virgin. It could also be that the religious person has always been so but his weakness is women so he just allows himself go (unpardonable in most cases, he should work at lowering his gaze). In that case, you will not find him a virgin also. It could also be that the religious man has always been so from childhood so he might not have ventured into that area at all. In that case you might find him a virgin. Note that the fact that he has always been religious doesn’t mean he is perfect (smiles).

Each of these men has a variety of expectations when they are finally with their bride. The hard truth however is; no matter what kind of life a man has led, if he hadn’t had his way with the woman he married before the marriage, he yearns to find her untouched. Do not ask the women, ask the men!

So, he ends up finding out that he is not the first. What do you think could be going on in his mind? Let me try to give the likely things that could crop up; note also that in this case, disappointment has already set in (even though it could be handled well based on who). 

1.      He might say; ‘Well, that is ok. Allah knows best!’

2.      He might dwell on the disappointment for a while and then let himself be.

3.      He might create a little trouble and also take a rest.

4.      He might wonder; ‘Who could have been first?’

5.      He might wonder yet again; ‘Was it only one or two?’

6.      The moment when he meets her guy friends; ‘Could he have been the one?’

7.      Some will go straight away and ask and his bride’s response will define the happenings that will follow.

8.      And the list goes on… (I numbered that too…)

My friend and sister will say; ‘Our Muslim guys are over-obsessed about virginity.’  I won’t mention her name otherwise... And then I asked her; ‘If it were you who was the man, will you want anything else?’ May be we should all try to answer this only to ourselves. Pondering is a good and a healthy thing to do. 

There is another truth that seems to be swept down the carpet. That is…

The Virgin Who Does Other Things

So, there are women who try their utmost best to keep themselves intact but lose a lot more. Talk about all kinds of romance and they have done it sometimes not just with one man, but a lot more. The only thing they make sure of is not to cross the border.
The question here is; 

‘Which does a man prefer; the harm and loss of dignity which he cannot see or know such as that or the other harm which he can find out (loss of virginity)?’

In that case, we are asking the man to tell us which his choice will be of various women who have lost their virginity and one kind of virgin. The virgin being the kind that has been explained here and the other various kinds of non-virgins some of who are;

1.      She doesn’t see anything of a big deal in being intimate with men whom she was not married to so she just does it.

2.      She was like that before and she changed over for the better.

3.      She was sexually abused and so she lost it.

4.      And many others…

So, which will a Muslim man prefer; ‘that kind of virgin up there against these shades of non-virgins.’ With the obsession they say the men have, I don’t know whether they will still go for the former but of course; ask the men, don’t ask the women. 

The Case of Hayaa

So, hayaa, is a broad subject and I want to use just a bit of it here. In a popular hadith, the noble Prophet Muhammad, the Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him, says;

"Faith (Belief) consists of more than sixty branches. And Hayaa’ (self-respect, modesty, bashfulness, scruple, etc.) is a part of faith."
(Bukhari)

Hayaa is that important in the life of a Muslim. I will look at Hayaa simply as;

‘Having a sense of shame for a wrong action’

Human beings have naturally been created with a sense of shame. They say that is what differentiates us from animals. That is the more reason why man learnt to cover his body which he could not afford to subject to public scrutiny. Therefore, where the community or religion has not given a man and a woman permission to be together and be intimate, man and woman should naturally be ashamed to do that with each other. That is why the public outcry against such things when they sprout in our communities. That is why the many name-calling of people who lose this shame. The Prophet Muhammad suallallaahu alayhi wa sallam said;

‘If you have no shame, do whatever you want.’

And I hope to write an article on lowering of the gaze soon in shaa Allah. May Allah azza wa jal make us among those who are blessed with the best of hayaa. Aameen.

We Have a Problem: Agree

When a Muslim girl in the Senior High School does not know the big deal about keeping her virginity, then we have a huge problem as parents, as a Muslim community and an Ummah in totality. And that is why I always tell my Muslim sisters that just as you dream of marrying and being the best of wives as much as you could, do the same for how you would bring up a child. It is such a a huge job. So many of our mothers are going through various challenges with their daughters from which we must learn. What I think most of the time is that; all that we do with child upbringing is ‘trial and error.’ When the child turns out good, that is well enough, if he or she turns out bad, well…It is that very serious. So sisters, let us all get up and doing and grabbing our young girls and putting in their minds that indeed, virginity is still a thing to fight to protect even now.

Marrying a non-Virgin

So, I was against the ‘virgins club’ because I thought of all the ‘secondary virgins’ and all the others who just didn’t do the virgin thing. I thought of what a group of girls who tagged themselves virgins could probably be calling upon themselves. Among the many negatives are that:

1.      The self-righteousness feel is a disease and this club could well create something like that.

2.      Bad men will make these girls their target.

3.      Bad women will hire bad men to do the same (our community isn’t a safe place).

4.      Secondary virgins (those who have changed over for the better) cannot fit in.

5.      Virgins who don’t want to put their virginity in people’s eyes and noses are not going to be a part.

6.      How will people consider those who aren’t members of this club? (I can’t say smile to Jannah).

The one advantage that is most important to me would have been that some of our girls will yearn to keep themselves intact in order to be a part of such a club yet even this is not enough for something like that.

Is there any harm in marrying a single Muslimah who is not a virgin? Well, I can’t say for sure but let me take us to the video that the Deen Show did that I mentioned above. In the video, you will see in clear terms how bad the whole thing can get with a husband and a wife when the bad past of another crops up.

The video features a man who had been ‘bad’ before and his pious wife. They meet an old friend of the husband and things about his wife’s bad past came up. He gets angry and he wouldn’t talk to her. He could not believe that the woman who had helped him to shoot up his eemaan (faith) was actually that bad. Meaning, she’d faked all of her righteousness.

Some of his friends advised him that he should leave her and go for a better woman and the others advised him to go back for his wife because it was human to be bad today and change over the next time and the change was more important. They used he himself as an example. 

His wife advises her little sister about being careful about what she does now because Allah azza wa jal will forgive us but sometimes the results of those bad deeds will get to us as it was happening to her.

In the long run, they made up after an educative chat. She asked her husband one thing that I want to ask all my Muslim brothers. I put the question in my words; 

‘Is the sin of a woman who goes around doing things with guys greater than that of a man who does the same?’

So, I give a simple advice to my Muslim brothers, if you found your wife intact that adds to the joy but if you don’t find her intact, do not start looking at her with the negative eye because at the end of the day, it goes against your marriage. I have always believed that as human beings, to be content with our lives as they come, we should not worry our heads over what we have no control.

I am not dealing with the men much because I have always been a lot more interested in women because our troubles keep multiplying. The woman must make it her business to keep herself intact if she has not already lost it and where she has, she can always bounce back. That will preserve her dignity both in the sight of Allah, the Most High, and in the sight of humans. Let us have some shame for our bodies.

I have said more than enough. Let me leave you to ponder on all that I could have said which I didn’t say, where you agree with me and where you disagree with me. May Allah azza wa jal be the Custodian of our lives forever. Aameen. Remember that Rubaba loves you fiisabilillaah and may Allah subhaanahu wa ta’aalaa love us most. Aameen.

Jazaakumullaahu khair always!
Assalaamu alaykum!
www.mmahajia.blogspot.com for my articles
Rubaba Elhaam Mmahajiia-Rahma Sabtiu-Morla


No comments: