Quotes

As I grow, I learn and as I learn, I grow
...Towards Becoming a Beautiful Soul

Search This Blog

Monday 10 March 2014

MUSLIMAH SISTERHOOD





Assalaamu alaikum warahmatul Laahi ta’aalaa wa barkaatuh sweeeeeeet sisters! Now, you’ve got to respond to that because it is obligatory upon one to respond to a greeting. Allah, the Almighty says; 

‘And when you are greeted with a greeting, greet [in return] with one better than it or [at least] return it [in a like manner]. Indeed, Allah is ever, over all things, an Accountant.’
Surah An-Nisa, the Women, Chapter 4 ayah 86

Ok! So, I just came out of an amazing Muslimah sisters’ get together; a programme actually; ‘Ghana Muslimah Dilemma (GMD)’ and the sisterhood feel is still fresh in my heart. Been wanting to pour out my heart on this topic for a long time now and this morning, a Monday, March 10, 2014, I just want to pour a bit of this feel at least.

From being seen almost as a snob in Senior High School to now being referred to some as ‘strange (even my closest pals think so, amazing huh),’ I have come to recognize, accept and want to spread the importance of Islamic Sisterhood. That is simply because as I learn Islam the more, I see our unity as Muslims in general and Muslim women especially as extremely important. 

Looking into the life of the most amazingly awesome person ever, the noble Prophet Muhammad, the peace and blessings of Allah azza wa jal be upon him, and how he taught both his men and women companions to live with one another, I see a great challenge in our time. We are in a time when everyone is for herself due to some very trivial reasons which we could easily do away with. 

I also see that we are in a time when we need one another as sisters who share a common believe more than ever. That is because the challenges to our being ‘Muslim women’ gets worse and worse and some Muslim sisters are gradually giving up in the struggle to hold firmly unto the most blessed gift that anyone could ever have; ‘Islam.’

‘The believing men and believing women are allies of one another. They enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and establish prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger. Those - Allah will have mercy upon them. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.’
Surah At-Tauba, the Repentance, Chapter 9 ayah 71

 I believe each one of us understands the importance of ‘Allah having ‘Mercy’ upon us.’ We would gain this through being allies of one another and for me it is easy if we make up our minds to do so. In this kind of alliance that is towards attaining ‘Allah’s Rahma’ however, there must be one thing; ‘Enjoining one another to that which is right and helping one another against that which is wrong.’ To me, that is the best of alliance because there is ‘Allah’ in it.

Alhamdu lil Laah, I have been blessed with an uncountable number of sisters even though I am my mother’s only daughter and I have other blood sisters. And of course, I have a number of non-Muslims whom I consider sisters. My linkage with the Muslim sisters is for one reason only; ‘Fiisabilil Laah!’ ‘For the sake of Allah.’ I met some during school, some outside of school, some on social networks (facebook, whatsapp, etc), and our common ‘Islamic Goal’ had kept us in touch and moving (not always physically) together in our endeavours. 

Among the things we must be clear on however in this kind of alliance are;

For the Sake of Allah…
The love between us must come naturally. It must simply be because she is a Muslim and I love her fiisabilil Laah! Nothing more, nothing less! And I have come to learn the ease with which love for the sake of Allah comes about. I am the type who will naturally be hollow-minded about anyone I meet for the first time until I begin to know him or her then I could decide the kind of person he or she is and whether we could get along or not. Somehow however, I have come to learn how to recognize the Allah in people and appreciate them for it. And as I get to see more of how Allah inclined a person is, I fall even the more in love with him or her fiisabilil Laah!

"On the Day of Judgement, Allah, the Most High, will announce, 'Where are those who love each other for the sake of My pleasure? This day I am going to shelter them in the shade provided by Me. Today there is no shade except My shade."
(MUSLIM)

Now, I know each one of us will give everything to have this blessing from Allah. So then, why don’t we just love one another for His sake? What better way to love one another than to do du’a (prayer) for one another even when the other doesn’t know and to desire for one another what we desire for ourselves. The Prophet Muhammad, suallal Laahu ta’aaalaa alayhi wassallam says;

"None of you has Iman (faith) until he desires for his brother (or sister) Muslim that which he desires for himself (or herself)."
(Bukhari and Muslim)

The Other Things…

*      Sincerity
Indeed, sincerity is a beautiful thing and among the best gift you can give in any kind of relationship is sincerity. No telling of lies to or about one another. It is heart breaking really if you really give all your heart to a sister fiisabilil Laah and the person lies to and against you (talking from experience). It is almost like a demeaning of your mind. 

*      Let it out
There is this thing about some of us that is not commendable at all. If we have issues with one another, let us talk about it instead of letting it eat us up in our hearts. Our sisterhood should be such that there are no buried grudges. Let your sister know that as for you, if you have a problem with her, you’d let her know so that when you aren’t saying anything, she knows all is well. In my opinion, it helps. And you have to also be like that to her in order to make things work. If this is also going to work among us as Muslim sisters, then we should be ready to listen to the other’s complaints and offer explanations, apologies, solutions, etc. to them where necessary.

*      Be a mirror
"A Muslim is a mirror to another Muslim"
(ABU DAWUD)

And I found the exact explanation the ‘Muslimah Sisterhood’ needs on this hadith from www.ummah.com
*      A mirror has the following qualities that we also should have when reflecting upon other fellow Muslims.
*      A mirror has a one-to-one relationship with an object, after the person has gone the Mirror doesn't keep the image for everyone to see, it is as though the person was never there.
*      It does not announce a defect in public; a mirror does not backbite.
*      A mirror does not distort the image, but gives an honest, unbiased picture, if there is something wrong - it shows it in due proportion, if there is something right - it also shows it in due proportion, it is very Fair.
*      Neither does it exaggerate nor does it belittle the object.
*      The object goes to the mirror. The mirror does not travel looking for the short-comings of the object."

#that says it all…

And the Prophet, suallal Laahu alaihi wassalaam also says;

"Help your (Muslim) brother (or sister) when he commits a wrong and when a wrong is committed against him, someone asked, "O Messenger of Allah, I understand how I can help him if a wrong is committed against him, but how can I help him if he is himself committing a wrong?" At that the Prophet (SAW) answered, "Stopping him from committing the wrong is helping him."
(Bukhari)

Wonderful how stopping a sister from doing wrong is actually some help to her instead…may we be blessed with ilm (knowledge), hikma (wisdom), and faham (understanding). Aameen.

We have human differences
Well, it is sometimes difficult to connect with some Muslim sisters because they are simply ‘unresponsive’ to us. Sometimes that is due to the fact that they do not understand the essence of the ‘Islamic Bond’ and sometimes it is just their character. What sisters have to know is that these are hurdles we can do away with. If you are a sister who is having a hard time getting along with other Muslim sisters for one reason or the other, just know that we have human differences and all that is required of you is to give your portion of the love fiisabilil Laah. Perhaps, the sisters will learn from you or from other sources to understand the essence of your need to bond with them. Islam is thicker than blood, right?

Some character traits are a no no no…
Arrogance is a dangerous thing just as humility is adorable. Forget the class, the age, the knowledge, the wealth, the beauty, the status, etc and just let the love flow fiisabilil Laah. Envy is deadly. Quick temperedness is yet another bad one. Backbiting and slander is as dangerous. And there are more…do a character check and try working on deleting all the bad ones and improving on the good ones. May Allah help us do away with our bad traits. Aameen.

I guess I’ve said quite a lot. We have to note that there are loads of benefits in this Dunya (world) and the Akhira (hereafter) that we stand to gain if we built our bond fiisabilil Laah! And there is this amazing hadith that puts a smile on my face anytime. The Prophet, Suallal Laahu alayhi wassallam says;

"If a person loves his brother, he should inform him of this fact."
(Abu Dawud and Tirmidi)

And during the time of the Prophet, Suallal Laahu alayhi wassallam, his men and women companions had spread their love for one another both in words and deeds all in hope of attaining Allah’s pleasure. We could do the same no matter the challenges. 

So sisters, are we going to let it show, our love for one another for the sake of Allah? Are we going to work on building the ‘Muslimah Sisterhood?’ If yes, that will be excellent.

Now, I want to say something to your heart and I pray it goes into the deeper part of your heart because it is coming from very deep within mine;

‘I LOVE YOU TRULY FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH.’

If you love me too for the same reason, then may the One for whose sake you love me love you even more. Aameen.

Remember to give me that smile that does things to the heart when you see me at least. Give me that soothing hug that reminds me of the blessing of Islam and just go ahead and give me kisses fiisabilil Laah!

To Allah we are grateful for His many favours especially of Islam. Taqabbalul Laahu minkum wa minnee, ‘May Allah accept from you and from me.’

SISTERS FOREVER!!!
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM!!!
Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu!!!

No comments: